Monday, July 18, 2022

Aloha Cream Pie! ♥


Hello Friends! Happy Monday!  

Last year for my birthday my sweet friend gifted me this adorable cookbook! It's one I hold near and dear to me because it's full of fabulous RETRO recipes themed around my favorite TV show I Love Lucy! We're talking recipes like ambrosia salad, stuffed celery (to serve at your next bridge game), and cranberry Jello Christmas delight. A must for every holiday party!  I'm slowly working my way through each and every recipe and have loved every one so far.  

It's an experience!  



 
I was flipping through the book this week searching for a strawberry pie recipe when I came across this page.  Aloha Cream Pie!! If that name doesn't say summer I don't know what does.  It's basically a creamy, decadent coconut cream pie with pineapple on top that will give you the feeling of being on a tropical island.  It's delicious!  I decided the strawberry pie can wait and this is what we must have right now! 




I'm not gonna lie.  This pie doesn't just happen.  There are some steps involved.  For me, first being running to the store to get coconut milk because that's not something I normally have in the house.

Patience is also a factor because you need time for the filling to set.  However I will say, the payoff is worth it.  

Whenever I see an old recipe with a lot of steps I actually get excited.  Cooking and baking back in our grandmother's day was not something they rushed.  They took their time and enjoyed the process.  

So come with me and let's have a "Lucy moment."  
Tie your hair back and put on your prettiest apron. It's time to bake  



















For the pie: 

1 round prepared pie dough

1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1/4 cup crushed pineapple, well drained 

1/4 cup macadamia nuts, minced - these are optional, I left them out : ) 


Filling: 

1 can (14 oz) coconut milk

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

3 egg yolks

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1 tsp coconut extract

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp salt


Topping: 

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup confectioners sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp coconut extract 

1/4 tsp salt 

(*if you don't have coconut extract substitute with extra vanilla extract : ) 


Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Roll out pie dough into a 9 inch greased pie dish.  Prick bottom and sides with a fork.  Bake 7-8 minutes.  Let cool.

Lower the oven heat to 350 degrees.  

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Spread coconut (1/3 cup) onto the baking sheet and bake/toast until lightly browned.  About 6-8 minutes.  Give it a quick stir about half way through and watch carefully so it doesn't burn.  Let cool.

In a double boiler over med-low heat simmer the coconut milk and heavy whipping cream (1 1/2 cups) until bubbles form along the edges.  Reduce heat and add the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch, whisking constantly until thickened, approximately 7-8 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in the coconut (1/2 cup), extracts, and salt. 

Pour into pie shell and refrigerate, at least 6 hours (overnight is best). 

For the topping, with an electric mixer whip the heavy whipping cream (1 1/2 cups), confectioners sugar, extracts, and salt until stiff peaks form. 

To assemble, top the pie with the whip cream, pineapple, and toasted coconut.  

(**I followed photo in the cookbook and put the pineapple in the center on top of the whip cream.  I think next time I would spread a thin layer UNDER the whip cream for more pineapple in every bite!) 



Enjoy!!! 

Now I must find that strawberry pie recipe I was looking for.  I'm off to search for it.  

Have a wonderful Monday!

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment