Friday, June 23, 2023

Summer is here! Let's have a catch up! ♥



Hello Friends!  Happy Friday and happy Summer! It's finally here! : ) 

I thought I'd play a little catch up today because I haven't posted since last Monday!  For no particular reason except ordinary life was happening.  That's all. Time flies, doesn't it? And now here we are, officially in Summer mode.  

School ended for John last Tuesday and he couldn't be happier!  He started his little part time job this week and it's going great.  He still has plenty of down time (as he should!) but is keeping busy and earning his own spending money.  It's the best of both worlds 

Rob is doing great too.  Thanks you SO much to those who reached out to me with well wishes for him.  He had his post-op checkup on Monday and passed with flying colors!  Everything is healing and looking good.  Because his work is so physical, unfortunately he can't go back to work for another two weeks.  He's counting the days.  My husband is not the type of person to stay still for very long so the hardest part for him has been not being able to work or exercise.  He's normally up at 4:30 every morning and working out by 5, off to work by 7.  He's had to stop that temporarily, but he knows if he follows doctors orders he'll be back to his old routine sooner than later.  For now it's couch and Netflix. 

Hey, as long as he's healing, healthy and out of the hospital, I'm happy : ) 






As for me, I've been busy working, being John's chauffeur, keeping up with housework, laundry, shopping, and meals.  My usual! However, I'm starting to really feel the shift in seasons and things are slowing down a bit, which is good.  That's what I love about summer.  Not the weather, but the slowness of it.  The longer days and staying up a bit later at night.  The ice cream runs and  late night movies.  Lately I've been enjoying my early morning coffee outside, before it gets too hot.  Just me and the birds.  Not having to rush out to drive John to school is something I very much appreciate!


So what else is new?  Here's the current situation in my kitchen at this moment. 
Stovetop potpourri!  So last night I made fish for dinner. I love fish.  It's one of my favorite foods.  What I don't love is how the smell lingers in the kitchen the next day.  I have found that a pot of boiling potpourri simmering on the stove is the BEST way to get rid of the fishy smell and make the kitchen smell like total heaven!  I have in a pot a sliced lemon, a sliced lime, a vanilla bean, a splash of vanilla extract, two cinnamon sticks, and a few sprigs of rosemary.  I covered with water and it's been simmering for a few hours now.  I check it every now and then and add a bit more water.  It's making me so happy and kinda sorta reminding me of Christmas, but not.  You get it.  Just try it.  You'll love it.

 Promise! 





Well, the first day of summer came and went.  Here's what I did.  But first a quick story...

Back in the summer of 2020 during Covid, my friend Julie and I started a tradition of meeting at the beach with our boys every Wednesday evening.  It was a way for us to get together and visit in a safe way, outdoors and socially distant, while still enjoying the beach. It was wonderful. That summer I even had a little birthday cake for John (who's birthday is in August) at the beach.  It's become a very special place for us.  This beach is so beautiful, and only 20 minutes from our house.  

 Well, here we are three years later and we never stopped going.  We start in June and go all the way to September.  Every Wednesday night we meet at 5pm and stay until around 8ish.  John and I usual treat ourselves to Wendy's on the way : ) By the time we arrive all the crowds are gone, parking is a breeze, and we can just sit, sip our coffees, and enjoy the sunset.  The boys take a walk, sometimes a swim, and once the sun goes down we light a fire (which is permitted at this beach).  It's quiet and lovely and I look forward to it all year.




Wednesday, which coincidentally was the first day of summer, was our first beach Wednesday of the year!

It was a bit cool, so we had our sweatshirts on.  I actually prefer it on the cooler side and I was quite cozy in my hoodie.  I know before long the HEAT will be here and my hot coffee will be replaced with lemonade! John and his two friends did take a dip in the water which I'm sure was like ICE but they said they didn't mind. Ahh, to be young again! 

It was so nice to put my toes in the sand and breathe in the ocean air! The sound of the waves is so relaxing too.  Late afternoon/evening is the best time to be at the beach.  There, I've said it.  There is just no beating it. 




Back home we took warm showers and I made us some tea to unwind before bed.  That is my idea of a perfect summer night. 

Now it feels like summer! 



 
See you next Wednesday! 




In other news, it's Tiger Lilly season.  

The peonies are gone (yup, that was fast!) and now these orange pretties are popping open everywhere.  






And finally I wanted to share with you this yummy lemon garlic pasta that has been on my rotation lately.  It's SO GOOD!!!!  I first made it for our Father's Day dinner and have made it a few more times since then. It's made with oil and just a little butter, no cream, so it's nice and light.  There are five cloves of chopped garlic in it though, so be prepared for that!  The fresh parmesan and lemon zest are what make it so delicious!  Next time I wouldn't mind throwing in a chopped tomato or some cooked zucchini.  







This weekend we have no plans (which are my favorite plans!).  I'm looking forward to watering my plants, clipping some herbs, making a loaf of sourdough bread, and taking Rob out for coffee at Panera Saturday morning.  It's becoming a regular thing.  Now even more so because he's dying to get out of the house! LOL

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!  

It's summer!!  Xx 





Amen to that! 

1 comment:

  1. My favorite plans are the ones where I don't have to leave the house :) I think it's great to be able to meet your friend at the beach every week. What a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete