Tuesday, December 20, 2011

All is Merry and Bright


Five days before Christmas and all is merry and bright.  My tree is glowing and there is a new - or old - Christmas special on every night.  Tonight we watched Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas (circa 1981).  Everyone fell asleep but me.  I had to watch it till the end so I could see them sing the Christmas Song.  It was worth it.  Another reason I love this time of year.  Timeless classics. 

*sigh*



If you are doing any entertaining this week and are looking for a quick desert, I have a recipe for you.  This is called chocolate saltine bark.  It's so delicious (habit forming actually) and no one ever knows it's made with saltines.  It's the perfect combo of salty/sweet.  It's super easy too!

On  a large cookie sheet lined with foil, spread one sleeve of saltines in a single layer.




Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter with 1/4 cup sugar.  Boil 1-2 minutes until sticky/syrupy.



Pour evenly over crackers.




Bake at 400 degrees for just a few minutes until turning brown.




Take out of oven and sprinkle with one 12 oz bag of chocolate chips.

(I used Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate chips, but use whatever kind you like - you could also use white chocolate as well : )  

Put back in the oven for 1 minute.




Take out of oven and spread softened chocolate chips with the back of a spoon or spatula.  Sprinkle with 1 cup chopped walnuts (or slivered almonds) and 1 cup dried cranberries (Crasions). 




Place cookie sheet in fridge to set.  When cold, peel off foil and break bark into pieces.   Store in an airtight container. 




It's as simple as that.  Serve this with a pot of coffee when family comes by to see your tree. 



Or serve as a treat to yourself for all your hardwork.  Being an elf isn't easy.  Chocolate helps. 




Thanks for stopping by and I hope all is merry and bright in your corner of the world. 


Danielle xo

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Love your tree. Have a lovely Christmas!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew if I stopped by here I'd find a quick and easy dessert to make.... off to buy some saltines tomorrow. You always make everything look so yummy..... now tell me - how much do you weigh???! LOL!

    ReplyDelete