Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree...So Glad You're Back!


Hello Everyone! How are you all enjoying this Christmas season?  Tonight as I type this blog I feel very good.  Tree is up, presents are wrapped, cards are in the mail, and thanks to Internet shopping I haven't completely lost my mind. 

I had so much fun decorating our tree this year and I'll tell you why.  For the past two years we have had a fake tree.  Not my idea and I hated it.  It was too small, too thin, and frankly - looked fake.  I was not a fan.  Hubbie really wanted a fake tree because of the convenience of it.  You can put it up whenever you want, no pesky pine needles to sweep up, and Christmas trees don't come cheap anymore, do they?  I can't argue with that.  Against my better Christmas judgement I agreed.  My Hubbie can be very persuasive.



Now I know for a fact that some artificial trees are stunning.  My parents have a pre-lit tree that literally looks REAL.  It's amazing.  Ours however, not so much.  One of the things I hated most about it was that it looked too perfect.  No tree is a perfect triangle - except for our fake tree, that is.  Hubbie new I hated it. He tried to ignore me on year one.  By year two I was like an annoying bug in his ear - every day telling him how much I hated it.  Over the summer we happened to be talking about Christmas and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to start pleading my case again.  It was evident that this was not going away. It just happened to be one of those beautiful, pink-sky, summer nights.  We were sitting on the front steps and I asked him if we could have a real tree this year.  He said yes and we shook on it.  The die was cast.  Christmas was saved!


I don't think Hubbie thought that once November rolled around I would actually remember our deal and hold him to it.  He was wrong.  He tried to talk me out of it, but he's a man of his word - and this year - he's my Santa Clause.  I'm so happy to have my real tree again! Pine needles are all over the place and I love it!  Life isn't perfect, so why should our tree be perfect?!



Sunday morning all the bins came down from the attic.  I decided then and there that is is my favorite day of the year : - ) 



Another reason I hated our fake tree was that it was so thin I couldn't put all of my ornaments on it.  There was just no room.  Heartbreaking. This year I was able to fit everything on - together again! Here are a few of my favorites...



The kitty on the far right is one of the "little kittens that lost her mittens".  The mother and two sisters are scattered about the tree.  The glass ornament to the left of that is one of my grandmother's antique glass ornaments.  My mother gave me her whole set a few years ago because she knew how much I loved them. I remember them on her tree when I was little. (and my mom had them on HER tree when she was little)  I always thought they were so beautiful.  Still do. I feel very luck to have them.



And thankfully I had help.  I hung the high ones, and my helper hung the low ones.   He seemed to like the idea of hanging all his ornaments on the same branch.  I felt bad, but I had to do a bit of rearranging... it was either that or have one branch laying on the floor : - )




I can honestly say that I have never met a Christmas tree I didn't like - except our fake tree.  Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but for now this tree makes me happy - pine needles and all.  I'll take the mess, and keep it real any day. 

PS look what was on tonight.... 



Less than two weeks to go!  I don't know if we'll be having a white Christmas or not, but one can only hope. 

By the way, if you love chocolate and mint then check back soon.  I have a cookie recipe that you will love.  Promise! 


Danielle xo


No comments:

Post a Comment