Thursday, December 22, 2011

Memories of Christmas Past


I was doing a little scrapbooking tonight and thinking about all of the happy Christmas' I have had over the years.  Sometimes it's hard to believe how fast time has gone by.  It seems like only yesterday I was the one who was anxiously waiting for Santa.  And now, as I watch my son sleep, I know in his heart he is the one who is dreaming of what is to come on Christmas morning.  In a blink, we went from here to there - and we didn't even realize it.



My memories of Chrstimas' as a child are with me always.  Our Christmas Eve open house parties and how much fun they were.  My parents invited everyone!  My mom's buffet table with the red and gold plaid tablecloth that only came out on Christmas.  The aroma of turkey and apple pie drifting through the house while my mom and Nana worked busily in the kitchen.  Being allowed to open ONE gift on Christmas eve and what a thrill that was.  Lying in bed that night positive I heard Santa's bells on the roof and the excitement of Christmas morning knowing that Santa really did come!  All of us on Christmas morning - my parents, my sisters and I, and my Nana (who lived with us) - opening our presents.  My Dad making us laugh and my mom still "trying to wake up" as she smiled and sipped her tea.  We were together and grateful for it. 



Over the years things have changed.  We grew up and the world changed. But luckily some things remain the same.  I still help decorate my parents Christmas tree every year and I still set the table for Christmas dinner with my mom's china.  I always thought it was so special.  I still do : )

And most importantly, the love and unity we felt still remains.  Gathered around the Christmas tree, wrapping paper flying, all the memories and warm feelings come rushing back.  I know because it happens every year. 

New traditions start but nothing can ever replace the old ones. They are forever in my heart. 

Christmas' past. How lucky we were.  How lucky we are. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle, Merry Chistmas! I'm hoping this comment takes as I keep trying and hoping sooner or later one of them will.

    You are so very lucky to have such wonderful memories to cherish. You mom and dad are two of the sweetest most wonderful people I've met in a long time. I cherish your mom's friendship and look forward to meeting the rest of your family Sunday.

    Hugs,
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete