Thursday, January 30, 2020

Valentine's Day Series : Baked Chocolate Donuts ♥

Hello Everyone!

It's Thursday already!  I meant to post this on Wednesday but somehow the week got away from me.  So here we are, one day closer to Friday and I am happy about that : ) 

Today I'm reposting a recipe for baked chocolate donuts.  I love this recipe and have made it several times since I originally posted it a few years ago.  When John was first diagnosed with his nut allergy it was devastating for him not to be able to go into a donut shop and get his favorite donuts. Because most bakeries and donut shops use nuts in their products we avoid them to be on the safe side. Over the years I have tried my best to recreate some of his favorite treats at home.  Some are epic fails, but this one was a winner.  And because they are baked and not fried we (I) don't feel as guilty eating them!  They are super chocolatey and I think would be a perfect Valentine's Day breakfast treat.  


I remember the day I made these.  I came home from work early that day to make them so I could have them ready for John when he got home from school.  He was so excited! He was in the 4th grade then.  Now he's in 7th.  What a difference 3 years makes!  




Then...



Now...


He's still my baby and (thank goodness!) he still loves my donuts! 




Originally posted March 10, 2017


Hello Friends! Happy Friday!


This week has been a mix of emotions.  One day it's gorgeous and the crocuses are blooming....and the next...snow! Whaaat? This morning I woke up to a dusting of snow. Clearly Mother Nature is confused! And so am I.  I don't know how to dress anymore.  Just when I think I can put my winter boots and heavy sweaters away, along comes another storm. Sigh.... It's going to snow all day and they are predicting more next week.
John is on strike and completely refusing to wear his winter coat anymore. 
We are in total denial around here! ♥







March is all about being patient, right?  Spring will arrive in due time and I'll be ready when it does.  
On Saturday John has two friends coming over to play.  He loves company and is very excited!
Who knows, they could be playing inside with cars and watching a movie, or they could be playing outside in the snow.  We'll have to wait and see what the weather decides to do ♥

Other than the Saturday play date, our weekend is free.  I would like to do some housework and finish putting out some Spring decorations (again...denial) and maybe make a lasagna for dinner on Sunday.  I'm also thinking about pulling my bread machine out of the closet.  I haven't used it in a long time.  Do you have one? It's awesome!

Hmm, lasagna and a freshly baked loaf of bread. 

I'm seeing a dinner coming together and I like it : )

 It's daylight savings this weekend too! We lose an hour sleep Saturday night. It will be worth it to gain extra daylight in the evenings. As long as I can take a cat-nap on Sunday I'll be fine.  

No worries!  





Anyway....
So you know how there are some days when you NEED chocolate? Some days you enjoy chocolate, but other days you neeeeed it. Well yesterday was one of those days.  Crazy day at work and a million things to do at home.  That little voice inside of me (you know the one) was calling for chocolate!
And I answered!

I had seen this recipe on Facebook from www.bunsinmyoven.com about a week ago and could not stop thinking about.  I knew I had all the ingredients on hand so it would be easy for me to whip up. 
Yesterday was the day! I literally flew out the door at work to come home and make these. 
It was an emergency.






So simple~! 

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
6  tablespoons of sour cream (just under 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
And for the glaze...
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking soda, and salt.





I use Hershey's cocoa powder.  It's what my mother always uses ♥








In a small bowl beat together vanilla, egg, sour cream, milk, and oil.






Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.








The donut pan I use is this one I got at Target a few years ago. It's made by Nordic Ware.


I think I paid $8 for it. 


Worth every penny!






Spray the pan with non-stick spray and spoon the batter into the pan. 


Don't worry about the mess.  We're all friends here ♥








Bake 8-10 minutes or until the tops spring back when you touch them. 
Look at how puffy!!! 
I guess I filled them too much because I seemed to have lost the hole.
Can you tell I was hungry when making these? I should only have filled the pan 2/3 full. 
I had it overflowing!
That's okay....it's more donut to love :)






Leave in pan for a few minutes and then turn out on a rack to cool. 
Once flipped over you can see where the hole "should" be.  That's good enough for me!







For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. 


When donuts have cooled, dip them in the glaze to fully coat the top.  


Place on a wire rack to set, about 5 minutes.







John says these taste just like the chocolate glazed donuts at Dunkin Donuts! What a compliment!

This made me so happy to hear because since his peanut/tree nut allergy discovery last year we can't take him there for donuts anymore and he REALLY misses it.  I'm glad I can recreate something he loves at home!






Since there is no hole, there is a little well in the center for the icing. 


I'm not mad at that!







So what did I do last night?


I took my donut and a glass of milk and went to bed.  Because that's what you have to do sometimes to satisfy that little voice~

Here are two other donut recipes I've made in my pan:

Wishing you all a happy weekend filled with sunny skies and chocolate donuts! Even if it's snowing where you are. Fear not.  Spring will not let us down!


Enjoy!  
  





PS... I don't know if you've noticed but I blogged 3 times this week! I am trying to stick to a regular blogging schedule now and hope to blog every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I really love the consistency of it and I hope you do too.  



See you Monday! ♥♥♥





********



Rereading this post I could really go for one of these donuts right now to dunk in my coffee!  Have a great day, friends!  

Thanks for visiting! XO 

7 comments:

  1. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas about a spell caster named Dr. PADMAN I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. PADMAN helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. PADMAN for help. Dr. PADMAN assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. PADMAN did for me. Contact him today via Website: https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html E-mail:(padmanlovespell@yahoo.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +19492293867

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had struggle relationship with my husband in the past which led to divorce with my first husband. After i and my ex husband got divorced, i had another chance to re-marry again and just 5 years of my second marriage there was another divorce which almost killed me emotionally. I stayed for another two years been unmarried and a single mother. Honestly I wasn't really happy it because every woman need a man in her life, there was a time i saw my first husbands photo and i realized how much i loved him and have missed him. I tried to get to him but i was told that he moved on with his life and we may never been together again. I wept bitterly that night thinking i have lost the man that i have had so much love for. I asked for advise on what to do and a friend of mine gave me a contact of Osasu Solution Temple, i consulted him and to his very best with his powerful spells he helped me with a Reunion Marriage Love Spell to returned my ex husband back to me, in just 9 days i had enchanter with a spiritual reunion prayers with priest Osasu everything turn around for good in my life, I am now happily living with my first husband again and sort out the divorce issues. with the help of Osasu temple, his a man of wisdom and care. Thanks and i appreciate all the help you have rendered to get my ex husband back into my life again. I testify here today that Osasu temple is powerful it can resolve all problem in a broken relationship with love once. contact him for solutions to any kind of relationship problem. Email....(drosasu25@gmail.com) You can also call him or add him on WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water Hack Burns 2lb of Fat OVERNIGHT

    At least 160 thousand men and women are trying a simple and SECRET "water hack" to burn 2lbs each night while they sleep.

    It's scientific and it works with anybody.

    This is how you can do it yourself:

    1) Get a clear glass and fill it half glass

    2) And now learn this strange hack

    so you'll become 2lbs thinner when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE READ!!!Hello Guys!!! I am Sharon I live in Ohio USA I’m 37 Years old, am so happy I got my blank ATM card from Adriano. My blank ATM card can withdraw $4,000 daily. I got it from Him last week and now I have withdrawn about $10,000 for free. The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it because it is blank just your PIN will be on it, it is not traceable and now I have money for business, shopping and enough money for me and my family to live on.I am really glad and happy i met Adriano because I met Five persons before him and they could not help me. But am happy now Adriano sent the card through DHL and I got it in two days. Get your own card from him right now, he is giving it out for small fee to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets caught or traced. I’m happy and grateful to Adriano because he changed my story all of a sudden. The card works in all countries that is the good news Adriano's email address is adrianohackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am here to say a big thank you to Dr Sam for his great powerful love spell and his great spirits for saving my relationship. No one would have believe that I and my ex will ever come back together again lovers. But this great spell caster united us in just 48 hours. Dr Sam is truly a real and honest online spell caster. Contact him now on: okokakspellhome@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349060421250 and he will help you solve all your problem

    ReplyDelete

  6. hello everyone reading this, i want to thank dr marsu for his good work in my life, i was married for 4 years and all of as sudden i had a little augment with my husband that lead to divorce, i was surprise and so weak i couldn't think of what to do i cried all day till my friend told me about dr marsu i gave a try and after 48 hours my husband called me and ask for forgiveness. i am happily married with children now, i want every one that need his help kindly mail him (drmarsuofficial@gmail.com) or WhatsApp `+2348052798385

    ReplyDelete
  7. MY TRUE LIFE STORY HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK.
    I want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact: dromokpo@gmail.com that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man. Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and I forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship, health problems or broken marriage situation and you want your Ex lover, Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete