Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Nectarine Custard Pie ♥

I'm a pie person.  Don't get me wrong, I love cake....I mean I really love cake....but pie....pie is special.  Pies can be savory or sweet, hot or cold, for breakfast or dessert. 

Pie has it all  

For me, there is nothing better than a piece of hot apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a crisp fall evening.  It's comfort food.  

I crave pie in the summer too.  Blueberry, peach, banana cream, lemon meringue.  My heart sings with delight! 

It's been SO HOT here this week.  We are dabbling in the 100 degree zone, which personally speaking....is not very pleasant.  It's practically unbearable to be outside. 
(Can we please just skip to October?)

But it's never too hot to make pie.  It's actually therapeutic.  
I am happiest when my hands are in dough : ) 

I tried this recipe for nectarine custard pie a few years ago and it quickly became one of my favorites.  I love it because it's not only easy, but super refreshing in the summertime.  

I make sure this pie is well chilled before I serve it, and I have with either ice cream or whip cream. After all, whats pie without a dollop of something on top : ) 

You can make your own pie crust, however store bought is just fine too!  Especially in the summer.  It's all up to you.  I happened to have this crust in my freezer left over from a batch of dough I made for by mother's birthday pie.  I always make extra and freeze it.  You never know when your gonna need it! 

If you've never tried a fruit custard pie before, you are in for a treat. 

 ♥









You will need:

4 cups chopped nectarines (about 5 large ).  You can leave the skin on.

3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
refrigerated ready-to-use pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9 inch pie plate.  Line with refrigerated pie crust (uncooked).

Whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, eggs, flour, and salt. 
Add vanilla.

Spread the chopped nectarines in the pie plate. 

Add the buttermilk mixture. 

Bake 40 minutes or until just set, covering the edges with foil to prevent over-browning. 

Cool completely, and then refrigerate unit ready to serve. 


Enjoy!!!  


Thanks for stopping by today! I'll always save you a piece of pie!  ♥





No comments:

Post a Comment