Wednesday, December 16, 2020

What's in my Christmas Heart ♥

Hello Friends!  

Happy Wednesday!  As I type this post it's mid afternoon and we are expecting a huge snowstorm tonight.  I expect to wake up to a foot of snow in the morning.  Yup, winter is here.  

It's hard to believe Christmas is only 1 week away.  In some ways it doesn't feel like Christmas but the snow this evening will definitely help the feeling.  After John goes to sleep tonight I'm going to make myself a big mug of tea and finish wrapping his presents.  I don't know if anyone else has this feeling at Christmas time, but I always seem to be fighting a touch of sadness.  My mind wanders back to a time when John was a baby.  Those first Christmas's with him were just the best. I don't think I'll ever be that happy again.  I can picture him, a chubby little bald baby, playing with his beloved Thomas Trains under the tree....happy as can be.  I feel so blessed to have those memories, back in our old living room in the house I used to live in 

Don't get me wrong, I love every age, but those baby memories make my heart ache.  Ache with sadness because I wish I could go back and live them all again, but also ache with happiness because I can hold those memories in my heart forever.  I'm grateful that I can still play Santa and wait for him to go to sleep to wrap presents.  Even though now he knows I'm doing it, it's still fun.  And Christmas eve is still exciting.  Thank Goodness!  

We were talking this morning about the snow coming and John was reminiscing about how he used to LOVE to play in the snow.  I would bundle him up so much he looked like the kid in A Christmas Story.  He could hardly walk or see!  He would literally just roll down the hill in our front yard and not be able to get up. He loved every minute of it.  So did I. 

Christmas break starts on Friday and we're planning to go see lights this weekend and also start a movie marathon. We're making new memories everyday and I know I'll look back on this time in our lives with as much fondness as the baby days. 

  I've got to finish up my work and prepare for my wrapping tonight.  I think I'll watch White Christmas while I'm doing it.  

Have a wonderful day everyone! I'll keep you posted on the snow! 

Fingers crossed it's not too much : ) 

 

xoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle! Oh how I understand EVERYTHING you are saying! My oldest daughter turns 18 on Christmas Day! How in the world did that happen?!?! She will leave next September for college, three hours from home! How will I ever survive!??? We are expecting 12-18 inches here in Jersey... present wrapping and some baking are on the agenda for tomorrow : ) God bless and enjoy the week before Christmas and all the traditions it brings : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle this post really hit me in the heart this year. Both of my babies are growing up (Mary is 22, Alice is an extremely mature and independent 14 year old.) Christmas doesn't feel the same before. I've been Santa Mommy for the last 23 years, and now suddenly (perhaps not so suddenly- but if feels suddenly) my role has completely changed. It's felt a bit harder this year accepting that. I'm glad I'm not alone. It's still fun, but it's not the same without the magic of little children. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Yes. and Yes.
    As I type, our two are texting each other!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete