Sunday, January 24, 2016

Chocolate Chip Bisquick Cake ♥

John has been home sick for two days.  The sickness has slowly moved through the entire 3rd grade and this week was our turn.  I took him to the doctor yesterday because I was afraid he had an ear infection or strep throat.  The good news is that he doesn't have either of those things! Just a bad cold/virus that has to take its course.  I'm spoiling him with hot chocolate and lots of homemade treats it's no wonder he doesn't want to go back to school! ♥
 
I wanted to put the oven on today and bake. Something. Anything.  When I'm home during the day in the winter I like to have the oven on.  I went flipping through some old cookbooks and I found this recipe that I had earmarked (who knows when - ago). Since I have Bisquick in the house I decided to make this cake.  I don't usually have Bisquick on hand, but I had bought it to make a quiche a few weeks back and still had some left over.  Bisquick makes the best quiche. {you can check out my quiche recipe here } And chicken pot pie too. 
 
But anyway, here's the cake I made. Very simple and the oven provided the perfect temperature of coziness for our kitchen...♥
 
 


Recipe from The Hershey's Chocolate Lovers Cookbook....a book that's been in my kitchen for eons!

2 cups all-purpose biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees. 
 
Grease an  8 inch round baking pan.  I had a heart shaped pan in my pantry so I used that ♥
 

 
 
In a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix and sugar. 
 
In a second bowl, slightly beat the egg.  Blend in milk and oil.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir until just moistened.  (Batter will be lumpy and that's ok.)
 
Stir in chocolate chips. 
 
Spoon batter in prepared pan.
 
 
 
 
Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
 
The heart pan I used was 9" and I baked my cake for exactly 25 minutes.
 
 
 
 
The cookbook suggests you serve with strawberries.  I didn't have any on hand so a dollop of whipped cream worked just fine for us. 
 
 
 
 
The cake is dense and tastes like a delicious chocolate chip muffin. 
 
Here's hoping the winter colds haven't hit your house.  If so - hot tea and this cake definitely helps!
xo
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Now that looks good!
    And...I have Bisquick in my kitchen!!!!
    Thanks, my friend.
    Prayers your little feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bisquick is a wonder, isn't it?! You must try this cake. Perfect with your morning coffee or afternoon tea! Thank you for the prayers. He's feeling much better! Back to school today and feeling great! ♥

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe for the Bisquick chocolate chip cake! I love how you used a heart-shaped pan to bake the cake in! I hope John is feeling much better today and was able to return to school! Happy Monday! 😚❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love anything heart shaped too! Especially cakes! He's much better, thank you! Back to school today and feeling great. Let's hope that's the end of the sicknesses this winter. John and I have both got it. Rob is the only one left! LOL ♥

      Delete