Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Someday I will miss this...♥



 I feel like it was only yesterday that my living room was filled with baby toys scattered all over the floor. Squishy animals and a tickle me Elmo.  I can remember so clearly what it felt like to hold a little bald bundle of joy in my arms.  Soon it became Thomas trains and Arthur books. I would trip over plastic train tracks (all.the.time.) and spend hours looking for a random lost train that accidentally got kicked under the couch. And then it was on to cars.  Buckets and buckets of cars.  Everywhere. 


With kids, everything comes in stages.  And I feel like the older they get, the faster time goes by.  I miss the days when I pushed a baby carriage, and if I could do it over again there is no question I would.  Diapers and all! I wouldn’t mind one single bit watching endless episodes of Caillou or the Wiggles.  (Yup, we had a BIG Wiggles phase : )    




The cars still remain, but now they are more “on display” as collectibles rather than playthings.  All the same I’m glad they are still there.  After every stage passes I feel a sadness that it’s over.  One day these cars will be gone all together, and honestly, I’m not ready for that yet.  I love going into John’s room and seeing toys.  I always tell him to stay a kid for as long as possible.  Being a grown up is overrated.


Nowadays we watch YouTube videos and laugh a lot.  It’s not the same as playing trains but it’s just as good.  I keep reminding myself to slow down and cherish this stage before it ends and we are on to something else.  Making memories is the most precious gift I can give him. 
I can’t go back in time, but I sure can look forward to the future

 

 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this post. I miss my little girls, when life was simpler in so many ways, but complicated in so many others. Do you know what I mean? The only toys that remain in my girls' rooms now are stuffed animals, which they still adore, thank goodness! You are such a good mama. John is blessed beyond measure. You have given him the best childhood. You've made it magical and special for him. He will keep you fondly in his heart forever. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I hear your heart speaking and I can totally relate. I am seeing it through different eyes now as a grandmother and not a mother. I look back on those days and cherish them. You are so right to enjoy every stage. Don't be sad, my friend, enjoy every precious moment. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle,
    This is beautiful. And heartfelt. And true. I know exactly what your heart feels. I was just thinking the same thing. Flynn is growing so quickly...and as much as I will her to stay little, I know she must grow and change. But dang it! Why so quickly??? Hugs!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% can relate. My son used to line his hotwheels up like that and now he is graduated as of Monday. Went really fast. Too fast.

    ReplyDelete